The National Center for Charitable Statistics (NCCS) is an agency that is part of the Urban Institute. It’s considered the national repository for data on nonprofits in the United States.
Here’s some statistics on the nonprofit sector as of their most recent report (2015).
- There were approximately 1, 440,000 nonprofits registered with the IRS in 2013.
- These companies contributed an estimated $904 Billion to the US economy in 2013. (5.4% of the US GDP)
- 3/4 of all IRS registered nonprofits are 501(c)(3) charities.
- Assets held by nonprofits were estimated at $5.17 Trillion.
- An estimated 62.8 million Americans volunteered at least once in 2014.
Clearly, the nonprofit sector is a large, vibrant part of the US economy. We’re here to help you navigate insuring the nonprofit sector. Give us a call on your next account and let us show you how we can help you insure your nonprofit clients.
ALTRU, LLC is a Managing General Underwriter that specializes in directors & officers (D&O) and organization liability for non-profit organizations, as well as Miscellaneous Professional Liability (MPL) for a wide range of service firms. ALTRU provides underwriting services on behalf of Old Republic Insurance Company, rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best, A+ (Stable) by S&P and A2 (Stable) by Moody's. The team at ALTRU builds solid, professional relationships and delivers a superior level of service to their network of retail insurance agents, which sets them apart from other industry wholesalers.